Monday 18 July 2011

First Day at Work (properly)

So much to talk about, but after my first day at work I’m pretty tired so don’t expect anything too awesome.

So Saturday I went to a place that will worry a few people, Kings Cross, where the neon lights illuminate the short skirts, and party people shuffle along awkwardly and say ‘no’ to the ladies of night. It’s a crazy hub of activity, yet the sheer amount of night clubs means it isn’t difficult to get into a club as the crowd is spread out between night/strip clubs. Although the first place we went to was called ‘Favela’ which I’m sure is another name for a slum, which is ironic as the guy on the door was the campest man ever who wouldn’t let anybody in because of the dress code. Turns out the place we were supposed to go was ‘Empire Hotel’, free entry and one free beer and some old dance tunes, so pretty good. We (my roommates and I) met some other French people before we went in. Nice guys but I’m not sure they were big drinkers as they were surprised when I bought two drinks one after the other rather than have one, dance for an hour, then have another.
A good tip to anyone travelling at the moment, if you want to find out if people are from England, ask the DJ to play ‘Bonkers’ by Dizzee Rascal, brings out all the English and the other guys don’t quite know why we like that song...
Maybe they think we're Bonkers...
So a good laugh in Kings Cross followed by a day at Paddy’s market to get some cheap fruit and veg (plus a few pork chops!). We were all pretty tired and the weather was pretty crappy, which is a shame because we were all going to go to The Rocks to check out the market there and apparently they have live music there too, but no doubt I’ll go there another weekend.

So the big story is that today was my first ‘proper’ day at work. You’ve got be tough to deal with the sheer amount of rejection a charity fund raiser gets. 
'Rejection' is my middle name...
Getting blanked and refused constantly doesn’t bother me and like one of my colleagues said, ‘You’ll probably never see the people here again, so if they tell you to ‘fuck off’ it doesn't matter’, which is nice, I may use that as my motto from now on. My colleagues were English too, one guy from Newcastle and one from the west country (Bristol I think), both decent guys who seemed to think I could be a good fundraiser with a bit of practice. If today was anything to go by I need a lot of practice. Standing outside Central Station in the sun all day sounds like fun, but people always seem to be rushing, as if the next train is the last one EVER! 
Or maybe the trains are this awesome!
I did speak to quite a few people but most were students and couldn't actually make donations because they have not lived in Oz long enough. Still, I was warned that the first couple of days are tough because you need a lot of self confidence to convince someone to talk to you never mind give some credit card details! So tomorrow is ‘meeting day’ for the whole team, which should be a good opportunity to meet some of the other guys I was interviewed with and see how they’re doing. 
So all good at the moment, will be updating as much as I can! So that’s ‘how for now’!


3 comments:

  1. Looking good man, glad to see you have a job and all is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just talk them into submission - they'll sign up just for a bit of peace.
    Glad to hear you are having fun...but be careful around Kings Cross heard it's a bit dodgy.
    We're all ok - Louis wedding on Saturday so have the night off for that but v. busy up until then.
    Miss your help!!!
    Sunday was good - pub packed as loads from Bas and Blues club came to see Rockin' Armadillos but all went well.
    How's money situation - are you still managing.
    Love
    Mum
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps - Fred Dinage in the pic above on How now reads news on Meridian - oh and we are having frequent power cuts - maybe due to the torrential rain!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Oh, so you want to make a comment? Well go ahead, punk, make my day...