Thursday 14 July 2011

Grey Day at the Harbour

13th July
Last night (12th July) I spent the evening in the adjacent cafe/bar. I got talking to a guy from Birmingham, Chad, who it turns out worked at last year’s Download festival, which is kind of cool. After a couple of beers we got talking to a group of three travellers/students who were staying in the hostel. Now this sounds like a set up for a joke but there was a Danish guy, a German girl and a girl from Chelmsford (small world, right?) and after a while a French girl joined us for beer and talk about topics such as Charlie Sheen, music, drinking laws and how Twilight movies would be better if Arnold Schwarzenegger jumped in firing a machine gun and shouted various catch phrases.

Today I wandered around Darling Harbour, the sky was overcast but it didn’t rain. Darling Harbour is where the aquarium, wild life centre, Australian Maritime Museum, Powerhouse Museum and Hard Rock Cafe are. I didn’t actually enter any of these buildings, partly because I’d need to pay to enter but mostly because it is the school holidays over here so there were a lot of kids and families running about, and we all know how annoying happy children are...

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!
I did walk around inside the nearby Paddy’s Market, which is an indoor market that mostly sells souvenirs but there is a massive fruit and veg market once you get past the toy kangaroos and ‘Aboriginal earrings’. Darling Harbour is right next to China Town, in which is a million restaurants and a shop called ‘Morning Glory’, which after I noticed it, triggered an involuntary smirk.
So after my little excursion I returned to the hostel, feet aching, where I bumped into the guys from last night. Turns out they are going to some place tonight which sells jugs of beer for $10. SOLD!

Here's some pics of a gloomy looking Darling Harbour






No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, so you want to make a comment? Well go ahead, punk, make my day...