Monday 23 January 2012

Welcome To Gordon

Written 14/01/12

Feeling as rough as a pile of gravel
So here I am, one hour north west-ish of Melbourne on a hobby farm near the village of Gordon on a road called 'Poverty Peak'. Simon is the host of this WWOOFing experience and he’s a nice guy, we had a beer and discussed how crazy the world is and how Australia just loves digging shit out of the ground and selling it to China. But of course, me being me, I went out last night and didn’t get anywhere near enough sleep as I helped Sheldon celebrate his birthday in St.Kilda. I have suffered throughout the day (damn these first world problems) but thanks to my unbreakable spirit I made it with nothing more than a mild headache and tired eyes.
I meant Shaun, why did I write Sheldon?
Last night I was out on the town with a few hostellers including the Essex girl (Hayley, whom I met on my first night in St.Kilda) from Maldon (who now lives in Basildon, small world and all that) and as is the way with the backpacking thing we all got trashed on $5 beers and I chowed down on the nicest kebab ever (not a sex joke)! Seriously, if you’re out in St. Kilda go to Sunshine Kebabs!
Me (UK), Michael (AU), Sheldon (UK)


Naturally, at the time of writing this, I'm hungover, but at least I’m over the worst of it (those couple of beers helped). Thankfully I didn't need to get the train today until about 4PM so I had plenty of time to consume enough soup and bread to keep my motor neurones functioning long enough to get to Ballan station. But as I was leaving, leaving, on that late afternoon train to Ballan, I couldn't help but get those feelings of sentiment towards those I’d met at the Pint on Punt. The Irish, English, Swedish, Kiwi, German, Little Penguins, Dutch, Aussie acquaintances that helped make the past week or so that bit more special. But a man who wishes to see the world cannot do so if he never leaves and travelling is what I'm here to do!

Melbourne is a lovely city and St. Kilda a great suburb that exceeded my expectations as I was told St.Kilda is like Melbourne’s Kings Cross. It isn’t, because Kings Cross is a dive and doesn’t have a beach and there are no strip clubs in St. Kilda (that I noticed). Melbourne’s artistic flair extends throughout the city to the point that the Southern Cross station is itself a work of art, kind of, it’s no St. Pancras, but it still interesting enough when you have to wait about an hour for your train.
Yep, it's a train station.
My view for much of the one hour train journey
Simon picked me up at the train station in Ballan and my ‘WWOOFing Part 2: The WWOOFening’ could officially begin.

The building is rustic and interesting but with a few more luxuries than my previous WWOOFing host’s place as this place is on the electricity grid (no phone line though) and it has a microwave! The surrounding area is also different from last time. Large open fields have replaced the valleys and the green that I was engulfed in at Wollombi is now a sandy beige colour. No dogs or three year olds this time, but I will soon be joined by two more WWOOFers in the coming days as some of the work that needs doing might be a bit heavy, but meeting people and rising to challenges are what make life worth living, so bring it on!

I’ve taken a few pics, so have a butchers and talk amongst yourselves as I start uploading the next blog post.

The windmill actually pumps water from the dam below

I saw 'dam', it's more of a pond.

He doesn't talk much, he's a little horse! HAHAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, so you want to make a comment? Well go ahead, punk, make my day...