Friday 7 October 2011

Newtown's Got Talent, The Cross Has Skidmarks

So recently (Tuesday) I tried to embark on a 'free night out'. The plan was to take on 2 free beers and then go elsewhere to gain 1 more beer and then go back to the hostel as I had work on Wednesday. I thought that maybe there was such a thing as karma, and that if it really did exist I would be given a free night out as reward for my good deeds at work throughout the day. Tuesday started with three of us (me driving) to a far off place to deliver a fridge that was donated by an office to some guy. It turned out this 'some guy' was a recovering drug user, a really polite one, and he was very happy we delivered such a generous gift. Next stop was the PCYC (Police Community Youth Something) in Bankstown, where the streets do have names, but nobody cares. There we delivered a pool table and a foozball table to the centre (that might be what the second 'C' stands for) but on the way there a good point was raised, 'if a kid is acting up and getting into trouble, putting them into a room with other troublesome kids is basically a way of getting them to network and get into more trouble', exchange 'trouble' for 'drugs' and the problem increases.

So we did the Santa thing and I tried to go for a free night out. It turns out karma doesn't really exist/requires more than delivering somebody else's generous donations as my experiment was not overly enjoyable. The music in Trademark (to forever be known from now as 'Skidmark') was exactly the same fart noises they played when I was there 2 months ago!
There is more to music than Usher!
We had the 2 free beers and we (the 311) then went to World Bar to attempt to gain a third free one... We failed, as the guy giving out the tokens for a free beer wasn't around. So Matteo and I went back to Woolloomooloo, sober and tired. You may well ask 'Ryan, why didn't you just buy a drink you cheap git!' to which I'd reply 'I'm trying to save some money, and don't be so rude!'

Now, you may have stopped reading as the first part was a bit dull, which means you can't see this and you will have just clicked off a great discovery that goes by the name of 'Kate' (I think)... but first some context.
LOL!
Matteo and I knew Thursday was a day off, so Wednesday night we decided to travel down to Newtown, the train let us down at first but we got there in the end and we started at the Sandrigham Hotel to see some busker play a free gig... Yeah... so after one beer we walked around to find another place, and this is possibly the greatest accident ever...

Pictured: A not so great 'accident'
We walked along King Street and heard a young woman with an acoustic guitar playing so delicately as to make an angel seem heavy handed and singing in such a way as to make suicide rates increase just so people can die knowing that was the last voice they heard, each note she sang was done so with purpose like she hadn't performed them before and each song she performed was done so expertly like she had played them a thousand times before.

That's enough poetry, this is what she looked like, but that isn't important...

...How she sounds is important (Once you block out the bar noises and two back-packers talking, we do shut up eventually, so bear with it)

Now, you may think I'm over selling this young lady, and you may think I had a lot of beer which was muffling mine ears (if you have a negative opinion of the song above, well, I feel sorry for you) but wait! The beer was even better than the music! Some Japanese stuff called 'Sapporo', seriously it's just so much nicer than the usual Aussie drain water. So Matteo and I stayed at the place named 'Moose' for both the beer and the music, but mostly the beer.

However the fair maiden did stop her songs and so we took off to take in more of Newtown...
Um... OK? How about a new life as a sign writer? On second thoughts...
Then this happened at Kelly's and I laughed my arse off.

At the time I thought 'Bananas' now I'm thinking of the other prominent word

Another point, do you remember the time I had a day off and I met half the people I work with? Well it happened again! This town feels so small sometimes. So we drank and laughed and went back to the city via the night bus and I took this photo at some point.

Thursday was just an ordinary day of laundry and Minecraft.

Today I worked about 10 hours, but I may be moving onto a different job soon... maybe...
Maybe I could be Meatloaf's voice coach? <Warning: Below is a heartbreakingly awful video clip>

2 comments:

  1. Bananas - new song for Calico perhaps - oh no they don't do covers.
    What is the next job then....working for Aussie Tourist Board?
    Have posted a parcel to Sue and Michaels ready for your birthday - cash funds to be deposited later.
    Love Ya
    Mum
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Thanks in advance.
    I've handed in my CV to a bar at Darling Harbour,I'll put more details in my next blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, so you want to make a comment? Well go ahead, punk, make my day...